and I Advocate the Joy this ol’ timer brings!
USA Today’s article spotlighting the history of M&Ms and the new plans they have for a staple in my life is worth the read and a viewing of the video. Did you know:
- M&Ms were created for our serviceman during WW2 in 1941?
- They were designed to be hard on the outside so they wouldn’t melt while shipping overseas?
- They were sold to the public in 1947 because the returning warriors still wanted the candy?
- It takes 4-8 hours to complete the candy-making process?
- They produce over $1 Billion in sales annually?
- They were named after the two collaborators, Forrest Mars and Bruce Murrie, the sons of Mars and Hershey executives.
To me M&Ms means Mindless Munching that brings instant stress relief. I LOVE them!
From my friends I have learned:
- If you stop eating M&Ms you can lose 7 lbs in one year.
- If your teenagers are driving you nuts you can take down a large bag while on one cellphone call with them.
- They are perfect to bring on an airplane when you don’t want lousy cookies, chips, or pretzels.
- When served in a bowl at a party they are one of the first things to go.
- No book club discussion is complete without them, often being more important than the book.
Happy Diamond Anniversary M&Ms!